Are you covered?

Are you covered by the Collective Bargaining Agreement (CBA)?

photo of white umbrella with blue smoke illustrationAll Bargaining Unit Employees (BUE) in the Department of Health and Human Services (HHS), including those in the Food and Drug Administration (FDA) of are covered by 2010 HHS-NTEU Collective Bargaining Agreement (CBA) Revised 2014, except those specified in Article 1, Coverage, of the CBA.

How do I know if I’m a BUE?

Civilian, non-supervisory employees are usually BUEs. To confirm your bargaining unit status, look at Box # 37 on your Standard Form 50, Notice of Personnel Action, available in your electronic Official Personnel File (eOPF). If the number in the box is 8888 or 7777, you are not classified as a BUE. If your number is not 8888 or 7777, you are most likely in the bargaining unit. To know for sure, think of your actual duties. If you do not make management decisions, you should be in the bargaining unit. If you have access to predecisional management information, you may not be in the bargaining unit. If you handle personnel data, you may be excluded from the bargaining unit unless your role handling such information is purely clerical. [5 U.S.C. § 7112(b)(3)]

Please contact your chapter president if you wish to discuss your specific situation.

How do I join NTEU and pay my union dues?

In accordance with Article 8 of the CBA, you just have to complete Standard Form 1187, Request for Payroll Deductions for Labor Organization Dues, and send it to your chapter president or representative. You will be an NTEU member instantly, but the union dues will take one or two pay periods to reflect in your Leave and Earnings Statement.

FDA retirees may join NTEU by completing the Cash Dues Application and submit it as instructed in the form.

Why join NTEU?

Members pay dues which cover the cost of bargaining and contract support for all BUEs. It costs money to negotiate contracts, lobby Congress, and represent employees. All who benefit should share the expense.
The most interesting man in the world,

NTEU represents every BUE in contract-related problems. But we can also represent members before the Equal Employment Opportunity Commission (EEOC), Merit Service Protection Board (MSPB), or in class action suits in the courts as resources allow. We  can represent members in oral replies or statutory appeal cases regarding discipline or adverse actions. Oral replies are the first and often most important step in resolving proposed disciplinary and adverse actions for employees.

We survey members about what they would like in a national or local agreement. Every BUE is covered by what NTEU negotiates even if only members give input in what we negotiate, and only members get to vote on ratifying the contract.

As a member, you can take an active part in decision-making, vote, hold office, and have a voice in the union. As a member, you will have a say in workplace decisions affecting you. If you are a member, you can serve as the NTEU representative on any work group, task force, or on any of the other teams that are formed to address workplace issues, which may be very important to you.

How do I stop my NTEU union dues?

Please refer to Article 8, Section 6, of the CBA to learn how to stop your NTEU union dues and terminate your membership.

Please note that, “In all cases of revocation, revocations will only be effected by submission of a completed SF-1188 that has been initialed by the Chapter President or the Chapter President’s designee(s).”

Who is my NTEU union representative?

The current list of chapter presidents is available in the What’s My Chapter page.

A complete list of current NTEU Chapter 254 representatives is available in the About NTEU Chapter 254 page.