FDA has provided Article 3 notice to NTEU that the Office of Human and Animal Food Operations (OHAFO) plans to implement a revised Standard Operating Procedure (SOP) regarding Foreign Food Inspection Planning. According to the notice, the agency proposes to revise the current SOP because some of the work functions are no longer valid due to Program Alignment. The Agency claims that the revisions will clarify the information listed in the current version of the SOP so that staff have a better understanding of the requirements for a successfully planned foreign trip. The agency believes that the SOP will also promote greater consistency among teams and improve the quality of work produced for foreign trips. Per the notice, bargaining unit employees in the following divisions will be impacted:
- BUE Employees within Foreign Inspection Planning Branch 1;
- BUE Employees within Foreign Inspection Planning Branch 2;
- BUE Employees within CFSAN Office of Compliance;
- BUE Employees within CFSAN Office of International Affairs;
- BUE Employees within Office of International Programs (OIP); and
- BUE Employees within Division of Travel Operations (DTO) – Foreign Coordination Staff.
The revised SOP also includes work instructions for Firm Vetting and Inspection Planning. These three documents will replace the current SOP for Foreign Food Inspection Planning. A copy of the current and revised SOPs, two work instructions, and informational document are avsilable upon request.
NTEU has requested a briefing and to bargain this change. If you have any comments or questions, please share them with your chapter president.