Updated Locality Pay Rates for Calendar Year 2017

President Barack Obama
President Barack Obama

As I shared with you last week, the President sent Congressional leaders a second letter transmitting revised alternative locality pay rates for calendar year 2017 for federal civilian workers in the General Schedule. This newer alternative pay plan for locality pay increased the average locality pay rate for 2017 from the previous 0.6% to 1.1%. The across-the-board pay raise will continue to be 1%, translating to an average cumulative pay raise of 2.1% for 2017.

NTEU worked closely with key congressional lawmakers to urge the administration to issue higher locality pay rates for federal employees once it became clear that military personnel would be receiving an average 2.1% pay adjustment in 2017 under the FY 2017 National Defense Authorization Act. The pay parity principle—that ensures the U.S. government pay its military and civilian workers on the same footing—has long been championed by NTEU and federal employee-friendly lawmakers.

It is important to note that the 1.1% locality pay figure is an average number, meaning some areas would receive locality pay increases below this figure, while others would receive locality pay rate increases slightly above this figure. Below are some updated expected 2017 cumulative pay raise percentages (across-the-board plus locality pay) by specific area within our chapter. The specific pay tables for each designated locality pay area and RUS will be released later in December by the Office of Personnel Management, and will be shared with you as soon as it is released.

  • Albuquerque-Santa Fe-Las Vegas, NM 1.87%
  • Austin-Round Rock, TX 2.29%
  • Colorado Springs, CO 2.30%
  • Dallas-Fort Worth, TX-OK 2.31%
  • Davenport-Moline, IA-IL 2.00%
  • Denver-Aurora, CO 2.41%
  • Houston-The Woodlands, TX 2.46%
  • Kansas City-Overland Park-Kansas City, MO-KS 1.97%
  • Laredo, TX 2.84%
  • St. Louis-St. Charles-Farmington, MO-IL 2.18%
  • Rest of U.S. 1.63%

I will keep you updated on actions that affect your pay.

Author: chapterpresident

I have worked in the FDA since 1990 in a variety of positions. I currently serve as chapter president of NTEU Chapter 254, representing FDA employees in Arkansas, Colorado, Iowa, Kansas, Missouri, Nebraska, New Mexico, Oklahoma, Texas, and Utah.