Timekeeping Issues

TimeDo you know that you are not required to provide times in and out to your timekeeper or management official? This is clearly stated in Article 25, Section 12 A, of the CBA:

Employees will not be required to sign in or sign out, or punch in or out, to record their arrival or departure times. However; employees will be required to do so if they abuse time and attendance rules and/or the time reporting method established at the local site.”

Also, time and attendance forms or spreadsheet, such as the Personal Time and Attendance Record (PTAR), are optional for bargaining unit employees (BUEs) since the Agency has not negotiated any such form with the Union as required by 5 U.S.C. § 7113(b) and Article 3 of the CBA.

Even if you chose to complete a time and attendance form or spreadsheet for your own records, you do not have to send it to your timekeeper if you need to correct your ITAS timecard before verifying it. Here are some options BUEs have to correct or update the ITAS timecard before verification:

  • Send an email to your timekeeper with the hours you worked, leave used (if not already reflected in your ITAS timecard) or correction, premium hours earned, and supporting documentation to evidence premium hours approved and earned and/or leave requested and approved that is not already reflected in ITAS.
  • If you chose to submit a time and attendance form or record, you do not have to include times in and out.
    • One way to do this with the PTAR is by changing the times in and out font color to white, save or print the document in portable document format (PDF), and share the electronically-signed PDF that does not show your times in and out.
    • Another way to do this is to redact the PDF to black out your times in and out before signing and submitting it.

Please remember that, if your ITAS timecard accurately reflects your hours worked, leave used, and premium hours earned, you can verify your ITAS timecard without having to submit anything to your timekeeper. Your timekeeper can print the verified ITAS timecard for their hardcopy records.

Please let me know if management or your timekeeper require you to use the PTAR, or any other time and attendance form or spreadsheet, and/or if they require you report times in and out. If this is the case, you have the right to grieve these requirements per Article 45 of the CBA. Of course, we will try to resolve such disputes informally, if at all possible.

I welcome your questions and comments on this subject.

Author: chapterpresident

I have worked in the FDA since 1990 in a variety of positions. I currently serve as chapter president of NTEU Chapter 254, representing FDA employees in Arkansas, Colorado, Iowa, Kansas, Missouri, Nebraska, New Mexico, Oklahoma, Texas, and Utah.