PMAP Award Options

100 dollar bill Benjamin gift or presentThe Calendar Year 2015 Performance Management Appraisal Program (PMAP) Awards Committee Recommendation approved by deciding official FDA Deputy Commissioner for Operations Walter Harris provides an option for cash/time off split awards, but not at any specified ratio. NTEU Chapter 254 has learned that some supervisors have offered the split option using a 50/50 ratio only. This ratio is not specified in the agreement. Continue reading “PMAP Award Options”

Are you covered?

Are you covered by the Collective Bargaining Agreement (CBA)?

All Bargaining Unit Employees (BUE) are covered by the CBA, available internally and externally.

How do I know if I’m a BUE?

Look at Box # 37 on your Standard Form 50, Notice of Personnel Action, available in your electronic Official Personnel File (eOPF). If the number in the box is 8888 you are not a BUE. If your number is not 8888 you may be in the bargaining unit.

Why join NTEU?

There is no thing as a free lunch. Your colleagues who are union members are currently paying your share of the tab.

Members pay dues which cover the cost of bargaining and contract support for all BUEs. It costs money to negotiate contracts, lobby Congress, and represent employees. All who benefit should share the expense.

NTEU is required to represent nonmembers in only contract related problems, not before the Equal Employment Opportunity Commission (EEOC), Merit Service Protection Board (MSPB), or in class action suits in the courts. Nor do we have to represent nonmembers in oral replies or statutory appeal cases regarding discipline or adverse actions. Oral replies are the first and often most important step in resolving proposed disciplinary and adverse actions for employees.

We do not have to survey nonmembers about what they would like in a national or local agreement. Nonmembers are covered by what NTEU negotiates even if they have no say in what we negotiate, and they do not get to vote on ratifying the contract like members do.

As a member, you can take an active part in decision-making; you can vote; you can hold office and have a voice in the union. As a nonmember, you will not have a say in workplace decisions affecting you. If you are not a member, you cannot serve as the NTEU representative on any work group, task force, or on any of the other teams that are formed to address workplace issues, no matter how important that issue may be to you.

How do I join NTEU and pay my union dues?

If you are a BUE, in accordance with Article 8 of the CBA, complete Standard Form 1187 (SF-1187), Request for Payroll Deductions for Labor Organization Dues, available internally and externally in Portable Document Format (PDF).

How do I stop my NTEU union dues?

As stated in Article 8, Section 6, of the CBA, “Termination due to revocation by the employee: Revocation notices for employees who have had dues allotments in effect for more than one (1) year must be submitted to the EDO during pay period 15. Revocations will become effective during pay period 19. Revocation notices for employees who have not had dues withholding in effect for at least one (1) year must submit the revocation notice to the EDO on or before the one-year anniversary date of their dues allotment. These revocations will become effective on the first full pay period following the one-year anniversary date if the revocation is received by the EDO prior to the anniversary date.

“In all cases of revocation, revocations will only be effected by submission of a completed SF-1188 that has been initialed by the Chapter President or the Chapter President’s designee(s). If the SF-1188 is not initialed, the Employer will return the SF-1188 to the employee and direct the employee to contact the proper Union official for initialing. All SF-1188s must be signed by the Chapter President (or his/her designee) in a timely manner.”

For more information, please refer to Article 8, Section 6, of the CBA, available internally and externally.

Who is my NTEU union representative?

A complete list of current NTEU Chapter 254 representatives is available in the About NTEU Chapter 254 page.

For additional information, please visit the U.S. Office of Personnel Management Employee Relations Frequently Asked Questions or ask any Union representative.

Of course, I welcome and encourage your comments and questions below.